Saturday, January 21, 2012

Christmas Rush...Honduras style

Every year Minerva puts on a Christmas parade. Different parts of the school are responsible for a float: kindergarten, primary and secondary each has their own float. Primary decided to have our theme be "Santa's workshop". We had a table in the middle with Santa's helpers (apparently the word elf is offensive in Honduras), presents and of course Santa. We thought it would be great to use some of the second graders to be Santa's helpers and get one of the male teachers to be Santa. Unfortunately, none of the male teachers wanted to be Santa. We attempted to ask some of the seniors to do it but once again we were turned down. So through a few discussions, it was settled that I would be Santa on the float. I honestly thought it was going to be great.... Until I saw what I was sitting on. 

I had to sit on a sleigh made by our art teacher and the seniors. It had 1 piece of plywood holding it together. Now put that on top of a truck...driving on cobblestone street, I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. I sat in it while it was parked on our school campus and thought to myself "How am I going to stay stationary on this thing???" 

But through my broken Spanish I demanded they tie the sleigh down really well and I knew I would be fine. 

The week of the parade was absolutely crazy. We were finishing up finals and putting together all of our grades. I was overwhelmed with making my students costumes. They were snowflakes and I am the overachiever who decided I could make 19 of them!! Lucky for me, my angel Miss Kristin helped me power through and get them done in time!!
Lisbeth, Deborah and Heylin the night of the parade. 

Along with all this we still had to build our float and practice our song and dance for the Christmas show. So needless to say it was a crazy week. 

But before we knew it the night of the parade was upon us.  

The beginning of the madness. Teachers and students meeting to get costumes on and get ready for the parade.

Miss Kristin and I before the parade.... This is pre-Santa outfit!

A few of the second graders as Santa's helpers

The front of our float...I am barely visible but if you look to the left of the middle snowflake, I am on top of the float in the sleigh!

Here I am as Santa... There is nothing like sitting in a sleigh and yelling "Ho, Ho Ho Feliz Navidad"

There was only one moment where there was cause for concern. I was sitting in the sleigh and waving at people when I hear one of my Honduran teacher friends yelling at me in Spanish to duck my head. I glance behind me and see that I am close to being nailed in the head with telephone wires. For some reason the idea of being decapitated by the low hanging wires never even crossed my mind!!

As we approach Parque Central I see that the band is heading for the stage. So I yell to Miss Kristin and remind her that I am still up in the sleigh and don't forget about me. But you know what happens, of course everyone forgets about me.

Not one person remembered that Santa was still in the sleigh!

I finally get my principals attention and remind her that everyone has forgotten about me. But she can't stop laughing that I am sitting in the sleigh all by myself and everyone on my float has left. They had even turned the lights off!

So I manuever my way down the float and it is a mad dash to the bathroom to change and get ready for my kids performance in the show. 

But that is easier said than done. People are all yelling "Santa Santa" and then doing a double take that I am only 5'5, wearing checkered Vans and I am arm-in-arm with my friend Ana Maria. 

Pretty soon after, my kiddos were up for their Christmas performance. They sang "What Christmas Means to Me" by: Steve Wonder

The performance was a hit! The kids did a great job (I would post the video but the internet is too slow). 

My little "Snowflakes" singing.

YEAH!! Merry Christmas!

We are done!! Colleen, Annie, Ana Maria and I headed back to our house.

Next stop... Utila, Bay Islands!

Colleen, Jenna and I decided to stop off at the Bay Islands, before we made our way back to the U.S for Christmas. Needless to say, we had an amazing time.

Amazing view from our tanning spot.

Relaxing

Just doing a little meditation on our snorkeling adventure.

Great friends!

Beautiful sunset with Colleen.

The rays of sunlight, breathtaking 

The girls and I after dinner at a really cool hostel. 
Next morning we were off to the U.S. 

Clean water, fresh laundry, and my amazing family, friends and boyfriend!! WAHOO can't wait!















No comments:

Post a Comment