Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dia de La Familia

Kris, Kristin, Dean and I were on gate duty. We were the welcoming crew of the day. 

Dia de La Familia is a celebration across Honduras that celebrates.... yep, you guessed it, families. Each year Minerva has a celebration, where families are invited to play games and enjoy the day with their children at school. 
Hanging out with Jasmin and Sherlyn before more families showed up.

Carole, one of the preppa (kindergarten) teachers was in charge of putting the whole day together. I am not sure how that job landed in her lap, but more power to her for it. It was a big job. 

We were each assigned a game that we had to play with our students and their families. I was in charge of.... Sponge races!! I gladly took on the game knowing full well it would get a little wild. Whenever you put water and children together it always seems to get a little crazy.

Lori and I manning our station...before the madness began. 

Sarita and Diana getting ready for the games.

One of my little guys Roberto.

A group of my favorite trouble makers ;)

Let the games begin!

First round of sponge races. 

It was fun seeing parents get into the games as well!

One of my favorite little Pre-K kiddos, Daniel. He forgot to bring the sponge back a few time!

Working hard to get the other bucket filled with water. 

Another one of the games: The cake walk, basically you walk in a circle, if they call your number you are out. Last man standing wins a cake. 

Kris was in charge of the 3-legged races. 

Building marshmellow houses... or something along those lines. 

A game of family soccer

Some of my favorite people, Dariella's mom and dad. As well as Francisco and his mom. Too cute!

Most of the teachers from Minerva. We don't look too warn out after Family Day. 

It was a successful day of celebration for my students and their families. It was nice to see everyone enjoy themselves. 

Feliz Dia De la Familia!









2 comments:

  1. Nice stuff Kate. So far the orphanage article is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amani!! I am not going to lie it was one of my favorite moments down here!!

    ReplyDelete