Friday, June 15, 2012

El Salvador

When one adventures ends, another one begins. 

Kristin and I started out our backpacking adventures headed for the beaches of El Salvador.

I can't quite describe how Kristin and I looked but all I can say is that our, give or take, 50lbs backpacks were stuffed to the brim....maybe even overflowing a bit and Kristin had a front backpack while I had a large duffel bag.... PACKED to the BRIM!!

So we get on the bus from Santa Rosa Copan to try and get to La Palma, El Salvador. First bus ride...we stood for the first hour. Of course we were real happy about that!
This is my "happy I am standing on the bus" face.

We arrived in La Palma, with our taxi driver who kept telling us "muchos parties en El Salvador", 2 beers and a pupusa and we were out like a light at 7:30 p.m. Muchos parties are going to have to wait!!

Now, I would love to say that the next day of traveling was glamorous. But I would be leading you astray. We arrive in San Salvador and are promptly kicked off our bus, put on another bus, we then found ourselves walking 5 blocks with our backpacks in the middle of San Salvador. You better believe you learn to power through the heat, sweat and pain of a 50 pound backpack when your adrenaline is going because you are not sure if you are in a dangerous part of town or not. But all 

Next stop El Tunco, El Salvador. Bathing suite, check.

Black sand beaches and loving life. El Salvadorian style

Our evening was filled with delicious food and some interesting company. But what girl doesn't love having a few drinks and dancing with one of her best friends in El Salvador. 
Beautiful

First day of "real" vacation!! WAHOOOO

I know this might come as a surprise to you, but the next day... we hung out at the beach. Soaking in the sun and watching the surfers. It is a tough life, but someones got to do it and for right now, it is me. 

Our favorite cafe, delicious food!

View from my beach towel.

 Handstands on the beach? Don't mind if I do. 
Or a jumping picture!

Now the real fun begins.

I have had my fair share of small world encounters, but I believe this one takes the cake. Kristin and I decided to go to a bar right next to our hostel because they had advertised for 2 x1 Margaritas. We walk in and I hear "Kate" and look over to see my friend Adam sitting at the bar. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would run into someone I knew on my backpacking trip.

He owns a house about 10 minutes from El Tunco, so he invited us over for a barbecue and beers. 
Dan and I doing childish high-five games. 
Riding to the house for a little swimming and barbecue.

Dan and Adam's beautiful pool with a swim up bar. Nice work guys!

Best hungover juice: coconut water straight from a coconut that Adam cut down for us. Thanks dude!

I had an amazing time in El Salvador. I met some amazing people, enjoyed some downtime and layed on a beautiful black sand beach. What more can a girl ask for?

But all relaxing vacations must end. Next up, a 12 hour bus ride to Managua, Nicaragua....

Wish us luck :)










2 comments:

  1. Wow, loved this latest post. your headstands are pretty amazing, & I liked the jumping one. The churches are gorgeous, volcano amazing.

    ReplyDelete