Sunday, October 14, 2012

Day 6

Day 6: Bake my grandmother's peanut butter cookie recipe.



It has been well over 20 years since the passing of my grandmother, but my memory of her sticks with me, like it was yesterday. She was a typical grandmother; sweet, loving, affectionate and very giving. My time with her was short, but very, very sweet.

One of my favorite things about her, was she loved to cook and bake. I do not ever remember not liking anything she cooked or baked for me. With my grandmother, it was always about food and love. She amazingly raised 4 boys and 1 girl, so needless to say she was always cooking for a crowd.

I came along later in her life, so by the time I was around 2 or 3 she had mastered baking. I don't exactly remember the day she asked me what my favorite cookie was, but every time I went to California to visit her, on my nightstand was a container of my favorite cookies: peanut butter.

Unfortunately, my grandma Seeley passed away much too early in my life and I was left with only a handful of memories, one of them being the cookies.

As the years passed by, I would think of those times and even share my memories of her with my friends and family. But never once actually baking my grandmother's recipe of my favorite cookie.

A few years ago, my sister, Jean-Marie compiled a book of her recipes and magically the recipe was at my fingertips.

But for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to bake them. I looked at the recipe, toyed with the idea of baking them, but never actually did it.

Until, this morning when Magdiel asked me what my thing for the day was going to be. I hadn't a clue as to what I was going to do.... then the story of the cookies on the nightstand popped into my head. Why don't I make my favorite cookies my grandmother used to make me?! It had been well over 20 years since I had eaten those delicious cookies.

It was decided, I was going to make her cookies...

Now all I needed were the ingredients and a little bit of grandma Seeley inspiration...

After a trip to the grocery store, we had all the ingredients.
 
Recipe book in hand...ready to channel my inner Margaret Seeley.
 
Mixed and ready for the oven.....Here we go!
 
Baked and ready to try...
 
Yep, they are delicious!
 
I wish I could say, my first bite took me back to my time with my grandmother, but it didn't. But they were as delicious as I remember. Not too peanut buttery, but the perfect amount.
 
The best part of baking them was thinking about my grandmother and sharing my stories of her with Magdiel. It was a special moment to finally eat "one of her cookies" so many years later. I hope she was smiling down on me.
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment